Sunday, February 12, 2012

Correction and Clarification: February 12, 2012

I don't like it when I make mistakes on my blog, but when I do make one, I correct it as quickly as possible. And I made a beauty of a mistake . . . about a beauty.
I am, of course, referring to my blog entry yesterday about Gisele Bündchen for her outburst at the Super Bowl last week. I wrote yesterday that Bündchen "let out a tirade against [husband Tom] Brady's teammates dropping passes and suggesting that Brady himself was not culpable for their loss." I also opined that "the situation of your wife giving instructions to your coworkers on how to do their job causes more problems than it solves. Yoko Ono sat in on numerous Beatles sessions, and we know how that worked out."
I wrote this thinking that Bündchen made that angry comment directly to Brady's teammates. In fact, she made it in response to a Giants fan who taunted her. So, I was wrong. Although I still think that her outburst was uncalled for and undignified, I nonetheless apologize for improperly misrepresenting the context.
And while I maintain that I'm not saying that Gisele Bündchen is a jerk but think she merely acted like one, the Giants fan who taunted her by saying, "Eli owns your husband," a reference to Giants quarterback Eli Manning, also acted like a jerk. But I think Gisele Bündchen should have been classy enough to ignore the fan.
That's it, I don't want to write about Super Bowl XLVI anymore . . . except to say that Madonna, who is a jerk, had no right to be angry at British rapper M.I.A. for giving the finger during the halftime show on live television after Madge herself built her entire career on obscene gestures. She certainly didn't build it on that meaningless afterthought, the music.

No comments: