Friday, September 3, 2010

Like a Hurricane

Hurricane Earl did damage and caused flooding in North Carolina's Outer Banks and should graze southeastern New England. In the greater New York area, it's been a mixed bag. Earl has brought heavy rain to Long Island -a show at the Jones Beach amphitheater was canceled as a result - but much of the metropolitan area was spared. A tropical storm watch was actually in effect for inland northern New Jersey and a tropical storm warning was issued for the entire New Jersey coastline. I can't speak for the Jersey Shore, but in Essex County, twenty miles west of New York City, we were supposed to get showers or possibly a heavy and consistent rainfall.
We haven't gotten a single drop.
Even the wind was light. I forgot to take in some plastic lawn chairs, but it turns out I need never have bothered.
So, my mother and I were spared a sixteenth power outage for the year. Of course, on our block, the power can go out without warning on a calm, clear day.
In fact the power in my house could just as easily be out by the time you read this.
Meanwhile, Earl is going by so quickly, they call it Speedo. ;-)

No comments: